26 flights are scheduled for evacuation of Indians stuck in Ukraine, says MEA
The Ministry of External Affairs has scheduled around 26 flights for the next 2-3 days for evacuation of the Indian citizens stuck in Ukraine amid the Russian-Ukraine war. Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla said, “At the moment, our top priority is to safely bring back Indians stuck in the largest eastern city of Kharkiv.” He also told that almost 60% of Indian Citizens have left Ukraine which is around 12,000 citizens. From the remaining 40%, almost half of them have safely reached the western borders of Ukraine or are heading towards the border. However, half of them are still stuck in the conflict zones. India is putting in all the efforts to evacuate citizens via using the airspace of Ukraine’s neighboring countries Romania, Hungary, Poland, and Slovakia as Ukraine’s airport has been shut down.
On Tuesday, a 21-year-old final-year medical student, Naveen Shekharappa died when Russian Soldiers blew up a government building in Kharkiv. The Ministry of External Affairs said that they are trying to bring his body back. Basavaraj Bommai, Karnataka’s Chief Minister reached out to Naveen’s father Shekargouda, and expressed his condolences, “This is a tragedy. We are coordinating with MEA officials. We are making all efforts to bring back his body. You need to be brave.” he said.
We had an estimated 20,000 Indian students in Ukraine at the time that we issued our first advisory. From that number approximately 12,000 have since left Ukraine, which is 60% of the total number of our citizens in Ukraine: Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla (1/2) pic.twitter.com/mUzuHPiOFT
— ANI (@ANI) March 1, 2022
Indian Embassy that is in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine, has been shut down and the officials are on their way to the western part of the country. The embassy was only shut down after it ensured that no Indian citizens were left in the city. The Indian embassy is most likely to be set up in Livi, a city in western Ukraine.
‘Operation Ganga’ is the name of the initiative launched by the Indian Government to bring back the Indian Nationals stuck in Ukraine amid the war. India has successfully brought back more than half of its citizens. A 24X7 control room has also been set up to ease the evacuation process. A Twitter account ‘OpGanga Helpine’ has also been made. All the information regarding the evacuation process and advisories of embassies are shared on that account.
Continue Reading on The India Saga.