There are over 1.5 billion websites on the world wide web today. Of these, less than 200 million are active. During 2016, the total number of sites has grown significantly, from 900 million in January 2016 to 1.7 billion in December 2016. From 2016 to 2018, the level has held pretty much unchanged. From 1 website in 1991 to 1 billion in 2014. According to Internet Live Stats.
The first-ever website (info.cern.ch) was published on August 6, 1991, by British physicist Tim Berners-Lee while at CERN, in Switzerland.
Over 50% of websites today are hosted on either Apache or nginx, both open source web servers
Here is the list
- Google.com – Enables users to search the world’s information, including webpages, images, and videos.
- Youtube.com – YouTube is a way to get your videos to the people who matter to you.
- Facebook.com – A social utility that connects people, to keep up with friends, upload photos, share links and videos.
- Baidu.com – The leading Chinese language search engine, provides “simple and reliable” search experience, strong in Chinese language and multi-media content including MP3 music and movies, the first to offer WAP and PDA-based mobile search in China.
- Wikipedia.org – A free encyclopedia built collaboratively using wiki software. (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License).
- Qq.com – China’s largest and most used Internet service portal owned by Tencent, Inc founded in November 1998. Presently, Tencent is aiming its operations at the strategic goal of providing users with a “one-stop online life service”.
- Taobao.com – Launched in May 2003, Taobao Marketplace (www.taobao.com) is the online shopping destination of choice for Chinese consumers looking for a wide selection, value, and convenience.
- Tmall.com -Launched in April 2008, Tmall.com (www.tmall.com) is dedicated to providing a premium shopping experience for increasingly sophisticated Chinese consumers in search of top-quality branded merchandise. Tmall.com is a business within Alibaba Group.
- Yahoo.com – A major internet portal and service provider offering search results, customizable content, chatrooms, free e-mail, clubs, and pager.
- Amazon.com – Amazon.com seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices.
Website Rank Source – Alexa.com