Ram Nath Kovind turns 76, look at some facts about the President of Republic of India
The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind turns 76 today. The supreme commander of the Indian Armed Force is the 14th President of the Republic of India. He became the President in the year 2017 by defeating the former Lok Sabha Speaker, Meira Kumar, who was backed by 17 opposition parties.
Ram Nath Kovind who is the 14th and the current President Of India was born on October 1, 1945. His tenure is about to expire in about 9 months and till then he will remain in the office of President. He is also the Supreme Commander of the Indian Armed Force and resides in Rashtrapati Bhavan at the western end of the Rajpath at Raisina Hills in New Delhi.
On his Birthday, lets look at some of the facts about Ram Nath Kovind, the President of India.
1. He was a surprise pick by Narendra Modi and Amit Shah for the post and was elected to the office of the President after winning the 2017 Presidential Election. He defeated Meira Kumar, the opposition candidate. Kovind got 7,02,044 votes against Meira who got 3,67,314. He won with a whopping margin of 65.65%.
2. Largely seen as an affable man, Kovind, before becoming the President has a long political and administrative experience. He was the 26th Governor of Bihar from 2015 to 2017 and was also a Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) from 1994 to 2006. He has also represented India in United Nations (UN) and addressed United Nations General Assembly in October 2002.
3. Kovind is also well-qualified and an educated man. He has a Bachelors Degree in Commerce and Law, both from the University of Kanpur. He is also an advocate by profession and was a central government advocate in the Delhi High Court from 1977 to 1979. He became the Advocate in the Supreme Court in 1978 and has more than 16 years of experience as a practicing advocate.
4. Born into a Dalit family in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, Kovind was the president of the BJP Dalit Morcha from 1998 to 2002 and the president of the All India Koli Samaj. He has also donated his ancestral house to the villagers in his native village.
5. The first citizen of India, Ram Nath Kovind is married to Savita Kovind and the couple has a son and a daughter. He has five brothers and two sisters.
Continue Reading on The India Saga