On Tuesday, January 9, 2024, residents of the Jhanjra neighborhood in Dehradun were evacuated due to a chlorine gas leak that left several complaining of dyspnea. A senior police official stated that the residents had been relocated to safe locations and that no casualties had been reported.
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and other security forces hurried to the scene as soon as they learned about the incident, according to Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Dehradun, Ajay Singh.
According to Mr. Ajay Singh, the senior superintendent of police in Dehradun, the NDRF and other security forces hurried to the scene as soon as they learned of the significant incident. “On receiving information about people facing difficulty in breathing due to leakage in the chlorine cylinder kept in the empty plot in the Jhanjra area of Prem Nagar police station in Dehradun, Police, NDRF, SDRF, and fire team reached the spot and are taking action for safe disposal,” he further added.
Sehdev Singh Pundir, the MLA for Shaspur, said to the media representatives, “Seven chlorine cylinders were lying at an empty plot here for some quiet time.” There was leaking and it had the potential to become a major catastrophe, but the authorities and security forces worked together to control the situation.