India got its very “Google Map” called “Nakshe”, the web portal designed by Survey of India (SoI) contains topographic maps or open series maps (OSM) containing natural and man-made geographical features including terrain or topography. These OSM maps can be downloaded for free “Nakshe” in pdf format on 1:50,000 scale through Aaadhar enabled user authentication process.
Launching “Nakshe” — http://soinakshe.uk.gov.in/ — which also marked the 250th anniversary celebrations of SoI, Union Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences Dr. Harsh Vardhan said this portal would help in making the vision of the country in its strongest form and help the Prime Minister’s Digital India initiative. “Nakshe” will facilitate usage of open series maps by common man. It is also an attempt to strengthen linkages between government departments and geospatial industry to ensure appropriate planning and execution of transformational projects like Smart City and Digital India, he added.
FEATURES OF NAKSHE PORTAL
· All OSM maps to be made available to Indian citizens for free download in .pdf format with reference to the national map policy.
· Ensure compliance with National Data Sharing and Accessibility policy (NDSAP) 2012 as per which the government is committed to provide access for data generated using public money.
· Address security concerns and tracking through Aadhar based authentication and bar coded tagging to Aadhar number of concerned user.
· Application to be hosted in National Data Centre of NIC and security auditing to be done by CERT-IN before actual hosting of the application. A domain name “Nakshe” has been registered for the portal.
· All Indian residents having Aadhar can access the portal.
· About 3000 open series maps are available for download as of now.
· The downloaded maps can be used to meet the requirements of study, research and developmental activities.
· Commercialisation of the downloaded product is strictly prohibited.
Courtesy – ICT Flash